Termites are the hidden dangers to our houses. Whenever we hear the term ‘Termite infestation‘ we wonder about the impact on our home because of the termites. But did you ever think, if termites are harmful to humans or not? Do termites cause health problems? If you are not sure about the answers, this time you will get your answer after reading this blog. And if you want to get rid of these termites and save your health, then we are there for you.
Before we explain the hazards, we will help you to understand if there are termites in your house. And if you find termites in your home, let us know so that we can inspect it and give you a proper solution as soon as possible. So how to know about the presence of termites?
- Mold: If you are living in a humid environment and you have wooden furniture at your home, termites will love to stay at your house. These termites will chew or crawl through wood and spread mold. Mold generates spores that get distributed in the indoor air that we breathe. These spores are famous for causing chronic asthma, cough, migraine headaches, fungal infections, and conjunctivitis. These mold spores can cause neurological problems too!
- Termites Frass: If you spot termite frass then termites are already present in your house. Door frames, windows are the place where you will find frass but don’t get confused in between termite frass and sawdust. You can differentiate these two by properly looking at the shape and color.
Well, termites do not pose a direct threat to humans but their stings & bites are really painful. Below we will discuss the health hazards or the negative side effects on your health because of the termites.
- Bites & Stings: If a termite bites you, you will not get killed but you can experience itching, swelling, burning and it can be painful too.
- Asthma & Allergies: Asthma is a chronic condition that causes inflammation and narrowing of the bronchial tubes and you will experience shortness of breath or you may hear a whistling or wheezy sound in your chest when you breathe. The saliva of termites is a source of getting affected by asthma and allergies. Hard to believe but yes, it is true! Saliva & shed skins of cockroaches contain potent allergen proteins that are responsible for the allergic reactions and exacerbate asthma symptoms. The venom of bees, wasps, yellow jackets and fire ants can cause serious problems to people having a weak immune system and you may feel a tightness in the chest or shortness of breath. Asthma is mostly caused by mold spores inside a house.
If your skin comes in contact with termite frass or termites pellets, it can cause contact dermatitis and allergic reactions such as coughing, sneezing, red spots on the skin and so on. You will find pellets around the bed, carpet and even on the floor also!
- DIY Termite Treatment: When we have mentioned DIY treatment, we are talking about pesticides. These pesticides can be acutely toxic and they can cause lethal effects once it comes in touch with human skin such as respiratory tract irritation, nausea, vomiting, extreme weakness, sore throat and so on. You can try to treat termite infestation yourself but it should be done properly else you may welcome trouble for yourself.
A clean ventilation & airing system brings fresh air and that decreases humidity also. It prevents to develop an environment for the termites. Try to use a vacuum cleaner to clean the housing surface. Pay close attention to the wall surface, wooden furniture, window sills, door frames as these are the favorite place for termites.
Last but not least, get in touch with pest control experts who are specialized in termite treatments to keep those termites away from your sweet home. If you are from Texas or Rio Grande Valley and you are unable to find any signs or still not sure if there are termites in your home, then call us to schedule a termite inspection and we would be happy to help you!