Bees are usually portrayed as harmless little insects. Their roles as pollinators in the ecosystem are vital but it should also be mentioned that Bees can be dangerous.

Bee stings can be deadly to people who are allergic to them. From 1999 to 2007, the Centers for Disease Control reported 509 deaths from wasps, hornets, or bees stings, and fewer than 1 percent of children and 3 percent of adults are prone to anaphylaxis, the often deadly allergic reaction some experience in response to a sting. About 2 million Americans have allergies to the venom of stinging bugs. Many of these people are at risk for life-threatening allergic reactions.


Different Bees vary in aggressiveness. If you disturb colony if bees or try to capture it, it may sting you. Keep in mind that once you’ve been stung, you’re likely to get stung again! How so? A worker bee has a stinger that sticks in the skin. As long as it remains in your skin, the stinger will continue to release venom and pheromones, which let other bees know that you’re a potential threat. This is why you may get stung repeatedly.


Getting stung by a bee can pain, severity may differ from person to person. The longer a stinger is left in the skin, the more it will hurt.

Local reaction

After a Bee sting, you may feel localized pain, swelling, and redness around the sting site. Some may have an even larger local reaction that causes swelling that extends beyond the sting site that may last for 5-10 days.

Allergy to Bee Sting

The most serious reaction is an allergic one. A mild allergic reaction may include pain, redness, itching, warmth, or swelling.


Severe allergic reactions are also called an anaphylactic reaction. This, although not that common, is a Medical Emergency! It can cause a person to collapse and die. This happens quickly, within minutes to an hour. The victim could have swelling of the face, throat, or any part of the mouth or tongue, chest tightness, and a feeling of tightness in the throat, dizziness with a drop of blood pressure, and worse, Death.

In areas where bees are common, homeowners and business owners should always take extra precautions around bees and have beehives removed by professionals.

Call Bug Off pest control at 956-782-7378 and we’ll send licensed pest control technicians out to your property to handle the problem.

Your life is of utmost importance. Be Cautious. Bee-ware!